Cheap Aero Reads

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cheap Aero Reads
From: "joe lance" <jlance2@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:36:14 -0500
Based on the comments,I thought some of you guys would be interested in this
cheap read (click on the attachment ),so I'm forwarding this item from my
archives.

  Dr. Stewart Way is an unknown hero because he was the American inventor of
the axial flow aviation gas turbine and did it in 1941 without knowing what
Whittle and Ohain were doing because our government classified what ever
they knew about the overseas developments.Because of the war,his patent
wasn't issued until 1946.  When I worked at the Westinghouse Combustion Lab
in the 50's and 60's, Rolls-Royce, who originally built Whittle's by then
obsolete engine, was buying Stu Way's axial engine combustion technology as
our licensee.

In those days we had a lot of fun researching afterburner instabilities that
could destroy tailpipes in seconds.

For a more expensive read ($50) ,see the ASME book "The History of Aircraft
Gas Turbine Engine Development in the United States"---covers all the US
people and manufacturers.

lance

Subject: Way's Jet Engine/NAVY

> Hi guys:
>
> I remember Don Roberts telling us that he saw jet planes flying near his
> childhood home before WWII ended. Little did I know they were powered by
> Westinghouse jet engines designed by my old boss,Stu Way !
>
> if you guys know Don's email address , forward this to him.
>
> joe lance
>

> > some technical history---my first westinghouse boss,stu way, was the
> > american inventor of the axial-flow jet engine.  von-ohain was the
> > equivalent german inventor. frank whittle of england also invented a jet
> > engine,but it was a centrifugal flow engine which was used by the
british
> > and the u.s. army air corps for awhile,but whittle's concept was a
> > technological dead end and is no longer used anywhere.  the u.s. navy
used
> > way's design right from the start in the form of westinghouse
manufactured
> > jet engines
> >
> > > Guys:
> > > One of my GW Museum acquaintances sent me this interesting piece on
the
> > > Development of the Westinghouse Jet Engine. I know that each of you
will
> > > be as interested in reading it as I was.
> > > Please find it attached.
> > > Maury

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a
name of Gasturb.rtf]