Re: home made wind tunnel

To: Nt788@aol.com, Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com, eaglemot@bellsouth.net,
Subject: Re: home made wind tunnel
From: Twin Jugs Cycle <twinjugsharley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:00:06 -0800 (PST)
Jack, I did the something like that here with
cardboard cutouts(not nearly as accurate as your
carved samples and I didn't make the CG area heavier
either). I cut out what appeared to be my tear shape
with slip together peices(one slotted to fit in the
other with a string tied to the nose of it) to see
what happened when i blew air across it with the
blowgun and also tried it inside a large peice of pvc
pipe(to see what kind of effect dad's wind tunnel
might have with the close wall area).
Results: slim to none. I found the model(2 2-d cutouts
slipped together) stayed a little straighter in the
tube then outside of it.
I aslo turned it around and tied the string to the
other end of it out in the open for the heck of it and
it flopped around like a fish out of water.
Like your idea of a scaled 3-d model weighted
appropriatly(i can't even carve a turkey though and
have pics to prove it).. it just seemed to be so
inconclusive for me and take so long that i'd never
make the track(that and the fact that dad said he's
building this tunnel) so I moved on to other areas and
went back to building the bike.
Todd Dross
Twin Jugs Racing
#1300b