Re: In Car Cameras

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: In Car Cameras
From: Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:04:00 -0700 (MST)
> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:11:32 -0800
> From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: In Car Cameras
>
> Neil has pointed out the real problem - design. Commercial stuff hasn't
> had a problem for years. (20+)
> A crew making a program for ESPN put a camera on our car in 88 or 89
> with no problem.
> A small camera bolted to the roll bar with the recording deck, wrapped
> with foam, tie wrapped
> to the frame in the right front corner of the engine compartment. The
> video was perfect.
>
> Bryan

Granted, but remember that your average cam you buy from Circuit Shitty
isn't really meant to be bolted into a vibrating steel chassis,
accellerating at high speeds.  It's built for filming the family dog, ski
trips, and weddings.  Commercial equipment is typically designed to go to
hell and back because the camera guys will treat it as such.

You need to use the right tool for the job, or take precautions to protect
the family camcorder from the vibrations present, etc or it won't work as
well as you'd like.

- Ralph