RE: Radio communication

To: "Ralph Forsythe" <rf-list@centerone.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Radio communication
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:38:10 -0500
We've been gone to the Dealer Motorcycle show in Indy for a coupla days --
just chewing my way through the 92 or so emails on the list.  I read 'em
from oldest to newest, so maybe this'll be old by the time you all read it.

Anyway, Ralph's right about ham radio.  I'm WA8GDW - been licensed since
'62 - and his ideas sure oughta work just fine.  I'm not as technically
adept at ham tv as he is, but I could probably be talked into helping any
that might wanna look into this.

Back to the Indy show -- about a thousand vendors there.  It's for dealers
only -- not open to the public, but Kent Riches from AirTech got passes for
Nancy and me.  Wow, what a bunch of eye candy we saw!  Trick paint jobs on
scads of Harleybikes, trailer-in-a-bag for your bike, lots of real race
bikes with real race drivers signing autographs, even a booth from a
modeling agency with "umbrella girls" available for your pit and start-line,
and a chance to ask every tire manufacturer if they were developing M/C
tires for over 200MPH (Not one of them showed any interest -- most didn't
even understand that while their tires might stand up to 2+ speeds, LSR tech
inspectors are a hard-ass bunch trying to protect us and want to see honest
ratings, not just anecdotal evidence).  So Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone,
Pirelli, and so on -- all say thanks but no thanks.  At least I asked...

We saw a couple of LSR folks -- John Noonan at the JE booth, Zack Milholland
from ECTA 2 Club, a couple of the Southwest Superbike fellows from Dallas,
and of course Kent Riches and his group.  It was a nice break in the winter
for us.

Nancy and I went there to pick up her Turbo 250 Ninja that Kent brought back
from MDR in California, and we planned to take it and my 12R on to Lee
Shierts' shop in Charlotte --- and then the weather went away, as they say.
You've all heard about the nasty storm down there, so we high-tailed it back
up north.  On the Interstate going back to Chicago the "black ice" was in
real good shape.  Even in 4WD the tires would spin up now and then as I
cruised along, and a couple of times the cross winds were so strong that (in
the rear view mirror) I saw the trailer start to pull out to pass us!
Wheeee-eewww!

We'll get the bikes down to NC soon enough, but will let 'em dig out down
there for a week or two before we try that trip again.

I'm going back to reading the mail.

Jon, who still thinks of himself as sorta young, but notes that I've been a
ham for over 40 years...