RE: Four-Valve Pentroof Chamber VS Two-Valve Hemi Ditto

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Four-Valve Pentroof Chamber VS Two-Valve Hemi Ditto
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:18:35 -0600
Bill:
Dave has mentioned the higher HP available via higher RPM-- which is allowed
by the lighter valves/ less inertia/ less tendency to float.  Quite true,
and quite a sizable advantage.

There is also more HP available in a multi-valve due to better breathing.

Consider a 3.5" bore; assume you have room for the spark plug, an exhaust
valve, and--say, a 1.7" dia intake valve. At .1" lift, the flow window
"cylinder" (between the lip of the intake valve and head) is 1.7pi X 0.1=
0.53sq.in.
In that same space, you could easily put 2ea. 1.4" diameter valves.  Again,
looking at 0.1" lift, 2 X 1.4pi X 0.1 = 0.88sq.in.  As you can see, a
4-valve engine can easily achieve a 60% improvement in breathing.  Run the
numbers and you'll see that this holds-up throughout the range of lift (it's
a linear equation).
Russ, #1226B