Electric motors and compressors

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric motors and compressors
From: "Bob Jepson" <Bobbyhotrods@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 17:14:20 -0500
List Cognoscente,
    Well, you've got me looking at these tool mail order houses now, and I
return to my often visited dream of near limitless compressed air in the
garage. I think prices are lower now than when I last investigated.
    It's hard to compare performance because the power figures used are
misleading. If Ohm's law still reigns, P=EI and 746 Watts still make 1 Hp, and
you're not going to get more than about 1 3/4 hp. out of a 120 volt, 15 amp
circuit, given some inefficiency. My question is some of these compressor
motors have the ability to be wired @240 volts as well. Can one assume if the
motor is so wired it will produce twice the power, or will the current simply
be halved to produce a more efficient wimpy result? Is looking at amperage a
good way to compare these things, or is cubic feet at pressure best? I want a
US made, two stage, belt driven, cast iron w/crankcase twin, right?
Thanks, Bob Jepson in Beantown