Re: Made in USA vs. "Them"

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Made in USA vs. "Them"
From: "Jonathan Amo" <webmaster@landracing.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:37:33 -0700
Well I can pipe in on the conversation here because I work in the field of
cars. I am an ASE Master Technition that has worked in the field for 10
years now. I see all types of cars, basically everything, even worked on  a
Delorian for gods sake, and have a 1990 JAG XJ-S V12 in my bay as we speak.
I see vehicles all come in with different problems. If it be foreign or
domestic they all have problems. Thats why I have a job. I have come to the
personal conclusions of this.
All vehicles no matter where made or the make or model all have their
problems.
But really all vehicles have their problems and any one is no better than
the other. I personally have had excellent luck with Ford vehicles, 2 newer
mustangs and a new ford ranger. I do however have issues with KIA Sportages.
Wife wanted one so we got it, biggest piece of dog poop, I think a GEO Metro
could outrun that thing. Anyways we traded it off this Saturday and got a
Chrylser LHS. Loaded., Beautiful vehicle but a pain to work on, 3.5L V6 with
no room to work. Its all preference anyways. Most people buy the vehicle
because of comfort, ride, gas milage, and to suit the needs. They dont look
at the details of todays vehicles.
The computer systems are all OBDII as of 1995 (some 1994's), with exception
of VW and AUDI which use a VAG system. Most of the information is applicable
to all manufactures now. What the difficult part of todays vehicles is the
computer systems. With new vehicles as my Chrysler LHS this has 10+ onboard
computers running the car. Each send inputs and outputs to the other systems
making it a very complex system. These are not Hot Rods anymore. THey are
very sophisticated computer systems.
Example, Chrylser LHS. When the vehicles goes into a rolling motion the VSS
sends speed to ABS computer which then tells main computer of speed which
then tells the door lock module the automatically lock the door, the the
speed which went to the ABS computer, then the main computer also went to
the Wiper System Module that the speed is less than 25 mph and it can speed
up the wipers. After 25 mph the module slows the wipers down.
Im sure there are more steps to the process than that I just did it off the
top of my head just to show.

 Most of todays vehicles fail because of electronics. Where are these
electronics made. Mexico and Japan are most common. So the basic structure
of the Ford and Chevy are fine its the electronics that make them fail, MOST
of the time.
Well lets make an example here. 00 Ford Focus blown motor. Wow an internal
problem with motor, but why?
Plugged Exhaust, easy enough. NOT
The converter shot particles from the converter down the exhaust and plugged
the exhaust causing a blown motor.
But why? Inputs and outputs.
Why did converter go bad. Well lets see vehicle was running rich. Ok why? O2
sensor telling computer that system is lean, so computer makes a change with
Long Fuel Trim to add more fuel to the system. Injectors adding fuel by
widing the pulse width of the on off time of injector. Why is system running
lean to begin with? Ahh that was because the coolant  temp sensor was
reporting the wrong engine temp. The temp sensor was telling the computer
that It was cold there for adding more fuel to system. But in the process it
destroyed the o2 sensor which was giving a faulty reading. So as of now we
have a blown motor, bad exhaust, bad converter, bad o2 sensor, an possible
bad temp sensor. But all that doesnt fix the problem. The real problem was
the internal computer pin from the temp sensor  was bad internally in the
computer which was made in Mexico or Japan.. Who also make the systems for
foreign vehicles too.

But where is this going? Dont know just rambeling. I just think you got bad
apple.

Jon