Ignition Puzzle in East Texas Camaro ? ? ? Any ideas???

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>,
Subject: Ignition Puzzle in East Texas Camaro ? ? ? Any ideas???
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:10:20 -0800 (PST)
I'm running a NASCAR mechanical pump with 1/2 inch lines, but the filter I have
restricts it to 3/8", so I very well could be running out of gas.  I pulled the
HEI off and put in a Mallory dual point, mechanical advance.  I think I'll
bring the HEI with me.  I get what feels like a little miss right near the
clocks.  I'm not sure if it's ignition or if it's a little spitting back
through the carb.
Another thing that puzzles me.  After the first run, I thought the miss was
ignition, so I pulled off all of my OEM 7mm wires, and popped on a set of Accel
8mms that I had in the tool box.  When I start it with the 8mm, it acts like
the timing is advanced a little from what it was with the 7mm wires.
Absolutely nothing else was changed, and I changed the wires one at a time to
be sure that there was no hanky panky with fireing order (which I've been known
to screw up before!). When I turn it over on the starter with the ignition on,
it grunts more, and tries to kick back just a little bit.  Go figure!
Dick J
 Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net> wrote:Dick Seriously there are a number of malady's
that could be described by
that statement.... lets look at a couple...

First off under lots of RPM your fuel delivery system may simply have been
at it's peak.... and you drained the float bowls... ( this cause's an
amazingly lean condition that does really ugly things to plugs )( pull them
out and sneak a peak)

You might have run out of ignition as well.... but as I recall it's a HEI?
and if it is I'd rather doubt that's the problem....

just a couple of thoughts.... K