Re: engine oil and coolant temps

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: engine oil and coolant temps
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:06:30 -0700
Tom;
When I used a wet-sump system I had a Moroso "adhesive
blanket" like you describe, and just so happened it was the
same size as the flat sump on my pan. It worked very well, but
I was only using 8 qts of oil. It would get it to 140 deg in
less than 1/2 hour on a cold morning. Now I am using a 4" x
12" Moroso heat strip wrapped around the dry sump tank. (120V,
400 watt) I use the exact "drill" Doug uses. After a cold
night on the salt it takes the better part of 45 min to heat
the oil to 140+ deg., spinning the engine with the ign. off to
 get the pressure up, then I fire it & run it until the water
gets to 160 deg. I have it on my "to-do" list to configure a
similar heater for the rear end.
Ed