Re: engine oil and coolant temps

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: Re: engine oil and coolant temps
From: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:02:44 -0500
Tom and list
Don't know if the are still available or not but there used to be a "South
Wind" heater made by Stewart Warner I think. It was used to heat diesel
trucks to start in cold weather. Basically it is a 12 volt, gasoline fired,
thermostaticly controled self pumping water heater. The unit is approx. 18"
X 18" X 8". It will heat 5 gallon of cold water to 160 deg. in 5 min. When
the temp gets to 160 the burner cycles to maintain it but the water pump
keeps it circulating. The car could be plumbed with quick fittings to heat
the oil and engine water before it is ever started. I would think that you
could set valves at 160 deg. if you set them hot. The pump could be left on
to maintain a constant 160 to help eliminate changing tolerances. The
thermostat could probabily be bumped to 180 if needed.