RE: Quick Data Connectors

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "Nigel Shaw" <lft@clear.net.nz>,
Subject: RE: Quick Data Connectors
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 09:51:30 -0500
Keith, Nigel:
the connectors Keith is talking about are on the "computer" side of the TC
field amps; their function is only as electrical conductors.  The field amps
themselves provide the TC "reference junction", and eliminate the need to
continue (beyond there) with the thermocouple alloys.  So soldering the
terminals on the datalogger side is "kosher".

However, I do have some concern about this setup, overall.  One thing I
consult-on is industrial temperature measurement, and I have been involved
with corporate teams testing the accuracy of many temperature measurement
systems.  I have found that field amps between TCs and computers are often a
source of significant temperature measurement error (depending on the brand
and the model).  There can be either large imprecision (random variation) or
bias (inaccuracy of constant magnitude)-- or both.  I know of nobody who has
independently tested the whole Edelbrock system-- from the TC through the
field amps, reading the data-logged temperatures-- compared to a "traceable"
temperature measurement reference device.  I would advise against relying
too heavily on these datalogged temperatures until somebody does that work.
Russ, #1226B