Re: Quick Data Connectors

To: Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Quick Data Connectors
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 06:46:06 -0400
I think what everyone is missing on the Edelbrock piece is the price point. It
is probably good to 2% in general that is about the same as most dynos as well..
+-1% is the end of the cheap stuff if you want better it is available but are
you willing to pay the price. When I go to the dyno I am never looking for any
better than the dyno can give me. If I have an 800 hp engine on it do you think
I care if it is 798 or 802 hp ?? And that depends on RPM as the dyno measures
torque and calculates hp so better put I look at +- 1% of the torque and then
consider the correction factor that it is using to see if it is reasonable for
the day. The best place to start on the edelbrock unit or any other for that
matter would be to use an adjustable output power supply and a 5 or 6 digit volt
meter to check the accuracy of the A/D section of the unit then you have to
check the response of each sensor or buy ones that are high accuracy parts from
the factory and have been tested there same goes for the temp inputs. I will add
that the edelbrock calibration tables for the TC stuff uses a generalized
version of the one the chip manufacturer provides. There are I think 6 data
points for each channel of the edelbrock unit. What I would start with is to use
the data from the chip manufacturer to put as many points in around the area of
interest for the channel. If water temp use 4 points around 160 to 240 and
assume the end points to be linear and out of range for the channel. For EGT use
the center 4 points to plug in a calibration from 1000 to 1600 and again plug in
values for the end points that are reasonable but out of the area of interest..

If you call Edelbrock I suspect if you get the right guy they will sell the
connectors. The main ones are made by Amp and are Ampseal series as far as i can
remember.
Dave Dahlgren