RE: hypersonic LSR

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, "Albaugh, Neil"
Subject: RE: hypersonic LSR
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 01:53:22 -0500
Mayf:
F1 cars (you know-- the racing that FIA REALLY cares about) had the exact
feature you described, for awhile-- and CART cars came pretty close to it (I
think it was banned there before it really matured).  Both even enhanced the
flow with the exhaust-- although the exhaust was at the end of the underbody
"tunnel", and not in the "blown wing" configuration that you have described
previously.

I'm thinking that I remember that both series banned underbody airfoil
sections because even a small bump could make huge differences in downforce;
a bump in a turn could be extremely disruptive for them. (Of course, we LSR
folks try not to TURN!)
Russ, #1226B