RE: Rear Spoiler...

To: <drmayf@teknett.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Spoiler...
From: <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:25:24 -0700
Doc,

If you look at the second picture of the Berkley (rear quarter view) that
spoiler has a Gurney flap.  That is what gives the flat aft face to the
spoiler.  Yep, Gurney strip = wickerbill = Gurney flap.

We use them on our helicopter tail surfaces to "tune" lift/drag.  Easier
than creating a whole new airfoil.

Dale C.

                Subject:        Rear Spoiler...

                Now that everyone is ticked off at me, I'll ask a couple or
more
                questions...both are related to rear spoiler...

                I googled and was unable to come up with a picture of a
Gurney strip or a
                Wycer Bill... One of you mentioned Gurney flaps but is that
the same thing?
                This is a technical curiosity for me.... anyone point me to
a URL where I
                can see what one of these puppies looks like?

                mayf

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer.