FW: SSS LSR finally says something!

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: SSS LSR finally says something!
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 11:40:35 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Wennerberg [mailto:jonw@up.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 10:45 AM
To: Land Speed List
Subject: SSS LSR finally says something!
Part threeee

Oh, that's nearly enough for now.  But Did I tell you that when I got out of
the throttle after my one fast pass -- the nitrous solenoid stayed open?
Off the button, close the throttle, get on the brakes and start slowing
down - just like usual.  Then I slacked off the brakes and the damn bike
picked up speed again.  Not a good idea at Maxton, where a rider has to get
it down to turning speed within about a half-mile - or go down the long
runoff road, replete with sand traps and an active runway waiting after the
other half mile.  I pushed the button, switched off the nitrous arming
switch, hell!  Nothing worked.  Nothing to do but close the throttle and hit
the kill switch and coast to a stop 'way down there!  Still spraying, still
hissing, and my bike doesn't have one of them new-fangled side stands -- the
Pit Bull rear stand was waiting in the pit.  Still spraying.  Still dammit
spraying, and all I could do was try to keep the bike upright (after I
stopped) and reach down under, hot exhaust and hot chain and all that stuff
nonetheless, and turn the bottle valve off.  Then wait a minute or two and
hope the excess gas dissipated so I could restart and ride back to the pit.

Now you know one reason, Keith, why I was shaking as you handed my my hat
and shirt.

Deep Enough!  See you on the Salt in only a little more than a month.  And
thanks to all that sent messages.  We didn't get back to Marquette 'til
Tuesday 6PM, then suffered through a couple of days of computer fart, and
then it was the holiday. . .

     Jon and Nancy Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
#436   Marquette, Michigan   #1478