Re: information needed

To: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: information needed
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:40:11 -0400
Gary
Run that scooter and have a ball.  On the GT series turbo I suspect you
probably have Inconnel X750 already, as well as modern aerodynamics.
Looking at the back of the turbine wheel will tell you. Work hard on your
charge air cooling.  If you can get down to below ambient do so.  The
turbine inlet temp will directly reflect reductions to inlet manifold temps.
My earlier note stated 1800 degrees f was a target, but the Inconnel wheels
can go much higher.  Inconnel reportedly is good for temps over 2000 deg f,
but as Dave pointed out there is absolutely no cooling cycle so most of us
run on the conservative side.  Back when I was running a real common T3/T04
(way too small) I was looking to run 1900 and the turbos lived quite well.
I could have gone higher but the power we had at that point was enough to do
the job and it kept the engineers happy.  After all, they were supplying the
turbos.   Ultimately the higher you go the shorter life will be since the
effect of the heat is cumulative.
 Garrett was one of my sponsors and the engineer I worked with really wanted
to keep temps way lower than max, to enhance durability.  As a racing part
for Bville  I think a life of 2 hours at design conditions is a
lifetime...specially when we are going really fast....they are looking for
thousands of hours, we require less.
LETS RACE
BUT if you don't have a spare, its ok to be conservative.  After all, we are
amateurs aren't we.

Rick