Re: information needed

To: Joe Amo <jkamo@rap.midco.net>
Subject: Re: information needed
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:20:06 -0400
You should be looking for something that will harm the engine not just that the
reading is high. Otherwise you will a bunch of aborted runs while not perfect
might still be acceptable.

Max oil temp depends on the oil used. What is too hot for one type might be fine
for another but 185 is way too low to shut down everything. same goes for water
at 220 if it is a pressurized system set to a reasonable race type pressure. CHT
I have no clue in a water cooled engine. EGT at 1200 under boost is mighty cold
normally.

EGT for gas NA is normally around 1350 to 1400 and I don't panic until 1500 if
it is a long run. On the dyno they get numbers like 1300 but seldom run the
engine long enough for things to stabilize. Turbo EGT of 1600 to 1700 before the
turbo is real common. N2O should lower the EGT by 100 if is set up right. With
alky these numbers go down some as well, typically 200 degrees.

OIl temp at 225 is fine with me and if it goes to 260 it is hot but not a shut
the thing down issue.

Water temp of 225 is fine with me. better if it is 200 but i would not worry
with a 25 lb cap if it goes to 235..

EGT Probe location is important, try to keep them all relatively the same or you
will make yourself crazy worrying about a 'bad cylinder'. A couple of inches
from the port is common and if you can have a straight section of header for
them that is even better.