RE: another reason to go to speedweek

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>, "gary baker"
Subject: RE: another reason to go to speedweek
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:06:29 -0500
Dave:
I agree about programming the power progression to avoid "blowing-off" the
drive tire under hard acceleration.  From the sounds that the engines make,
I think some lsr people are already doing that (Lingua, for example).  And
the way Dad Land "ratchets" his speed upward using brief shots of nitrous
has somewhat the same effect.

However-- the really fast "sit-on" bikes top speeds are being limited by the
aerodynamic "wall".  When they get up into the mid-200 range, the aero
resistance (Cds above .6, remember) is greater than the thrust that can be
sustained by the one (lightly-loaded) drive tire-- so the wheel spins.
IMHO.

Programming the power progression won't help that part.

I predict that this 'busa that Joe found will NOT go significantly faster
than Noonan's-- unless they have REALLY improved aerodynamics.

Russ, #1226B