Re: Racing costs

To: Chris R Harris <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Racing costs
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:06:07 -0700
Updated response, forgot to delete the trailer...

Mike,

For most of my tenure at Bonneville, it was strictly "bootstrap racing".
I could not afford dyno time. I was doing well to get the car together
and to the salt. There was no extra dollars for even good rods and such.
  Nor for quality accommodations at the salt. I guess that is why I am
fighting this high tech/high dollar approach to this sport.

Fortunately, I do have means to go racing in better style now. I don't
dyno the motor every year, but when I do it is a one day or less deal.
It is bound to take more dyno time to map an electronic system than a
mechanical one. Just one of my arguments, maybe not a good one.

Possibly my age is showing, but I like to think that the driver needs to
control the car. Otherwise, use Dave's chimp!

Speaking of finances, I have four 18 inch M/T tires coming and custom
wheels have to be made. This is going to cost more that my whole years
racing budget in many of the past years. But, in this case, its safety
and just about the only way I can continue to compete.

Tom, Redding Ca - #216 D/GCC - Basically ready to load the car, but it
is still in "suede".