Re: Racing costs

To: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Racing costs
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:18:37 -0700
Dave,

Of course, as usual, you are right Engine RPM/Driveshaft RPM ratio
doesn't tell us about wheel slippage. I thought about that after I sent
the post. However, the front wheel/driveshaft ratio is flat in high gear
as well on our car. Little to no slippage. It just seems to me that the
proper way to go about this slippage issue is to correct the problem
with chassis and aero adjustments within the restraints of the rules
rather than bring electronics into play.

I know I am being "old fashion" and I realize that electronics is your
life. I don't want to get into a name calling situation over this. We
just take a different approach to issue. I am, first and foremost, a car
builder and driver. I accept the rules set forth, I have always played
by the rules (I cannot see how anyone gets satisfaction in doing
otherwise) and I am not one to rattle the cage of those in charge.
Needed change has always come in due time. Most of us on the outside of
the governing body don't have all the information that is used in making
these decisions.

Somewhere we have to apply trust in those in charge. I am still
convinced that they do what they do in the best interest of the sport.
I, for one am glad that change is slow.

No..I would not be in favor of TC if we had traction problems. I would,
and have, addressed it using other allowable methods. I just believe
that these issues are best resolved with more permanent methods.
Electronics can fail, then what? Even cars with ground effects systems
have had problems when, for some reason it is interrupted.

I suppose that both of us will continue to hold the views we now have on
this issue. In our minds, we both have good reasons.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC