Re: Roll Cage, again

To: Phillip Landry <saltracer@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Roll Cage, again
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 09:03:59 -0400
I know that many of you will disagree with this, but there is nothing wrong with
the NHRA cage. The main bars should be the required tubing size but the support
tubes need to be smaller. The purpose of a cage is the protect the driver by
adsorbing the crash. If you was to build a all big tube cage, it will have the
tendency to just break. Several years ago, Penske South started to building cars
to absorb the impact, welding cages using Tig for strenght.

And forget the gusset plates, use smaller ( 1 inch by .125 wall ) diameter
tubing instead. It will pass tech, look at Rich Manchen's car as an example.
Plates are prone to tear the tubing at impact.

joe