Re: Roll Cage, again

To: jimwebb@nutsracing.com
Subject: Re: Roll Cage, again
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 08:23:20 -0400
A better way to reinforce the roll cage if the roll bar sits on top of the
shoulder bar as in a rear engine lakester configuration, is to use a 4.0" long
piece of tubing as the gusset. And yes, this is an exceptable alternative to the
plates.  Tubing is also a better way the reinforce a door car cage but in some
applications, it is not possible to weld the tubes all the way around. In that
case, plates should be used.

If you decide to use the plates, at least weld them exactly as the drawing in
the rule book shows, skip welded as welding them solid weakens the tube and
promotes a tearing effect in a crash.

joe