Bonneville 200mph club FACTS

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville 200mph club FACTS
From: "Landspeed Louise Ann Noeth" <landspeedlouise@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:49:04 -0700
Read the section in my book about the formation of the 200MPH club for the
historical facts. When I investigated this point I went directly to Alex
Xydias, Greg Sharp and Bill Quinn for the facts. The origins are well
documented, memories are viscous.

Short version: Dean Batchelor dreamed it up, Bill Quinn funded it and the
only thing you had to do was exceed 2 bills 2 ways under the eyes of a
recognized timing authority (SCTA, USAC, AAA) of the day.

Since then, the all-volunteer group has made a variety of amendments to what
constitutes membership qualification, the biggest is the setting of a record
in addition to attaining a speed. There are few written records of when, or
who made the changes. Greg Sharp discovered this when he tried to write a
historical recap of the club about a decade ago. Old-timers get cheesed
because they recall the original tenants and have not kept up with the
political nuances and changes.  In defense of the 2CLub board, it appears
all the changes were made TRY to maintain an air of exclusiveness, making it
harder was intentional so that once someone made it, they would feel they
had actually achieved something.

Speedy Regards,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth
LandSpeed Productions
"Telling stories with words and pictures"

www.landspeedproductions.biz

This e-mail including any files attached is intended for the addressee only.
It may contain confidential, proprietary or trade secret confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy
or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original
message. Thank you for your cooperation.