Re: fire extinguishers and race cars

To: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>, "John Beckett"
Subject: Re: fire extinguishers and race cars
From: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:33:40 -0600
Ron,
I use Halon for everything in the liner too. And I take exception to you
comment that Halon is"driver safe". The only way Halon or other air
displacement chemical can be safe is if the driver is breathing with a
breathing system. My goal is to get the Halon out of my cockpit and replace
it with something that won't potentially hurt the driver due to suffocation
or poisoning and while I'm about it, put a system in the car that will do a
better job of fire extinguishing.......cooling.
It is nearly impossible (the words of my fire extinguisher supplier) to put
"over 5 pounds" of Halon in a 15 cubic foot cockpit and not potentially
injure the driver. Maybe in 100+ cubic foot sedan cockpit it would be OK
but I doubt it. And then we are required to use care that the driver does
not suffocate.........
I am not confused about fire systems....I am confused regarding what John
meant by his comment and that is why I asked him about it. I will
eventually use Cold Fire or something similar in the cockpit and probably
CO2 in the engine bays. But I want all the discussion on the subject
available to all of us before I change the systems to anything else.
Skip