Re: Racing on the Highway

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Racing on the Highway
From: docb8532@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:44:22 EST
In a message dated 11/25/03 11:42:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jolylance@earthlink.net writes:
Neil:

You beat me by a few minutes, but it's still a hell'uve record--you shouda
got a coonskin cap. I did that route on the way back from Maxton in
September, all those mountain switchbacks made my power steering pump
screech and I got blood blisters on my keyster even with my seat belt
cranked tight!
hi guys
along the lines of highway records have any of you guys tried the "tail of
the dragon" where tennessee 129 crosses over the mountains into deals gap north
carolina? the tail is about 11 miles long and has 318 hair pin turns. think
about it.......that works out to one apex about every 182 feet for 11 miles. a
lot of east coast bikers are familliar with it, and there is a motel/gas stop
in deals gap that caters to folks who want to ride the mountain.
we ran it on bikes last year and are going back with sports cars sometime
this winter.
i'm curious if anyone has ever kept track of an unofficial record up there.
racing on public highways is extreemly dangerous. two guys were killed up
there the weekend we rode the tail. "don't try this at home"
doc.