RE: Racing on the Highway

To: "'JOE LANCE'" <jolylance@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Racing on the Highway
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:31:11 -0600
Lance;

That road (Rt 250) is a fun drive but few people know about it. I used to
work at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) in Green Bank, WV
and I drove it frequently when my lab was moved over to Charlottesville, VA.

I drove my fastest time in a 3-liter front-engine '63 Ferrari-- a 250GTE
2+2. I was single back then. It was a very easy car to drive fast and the
sound of a V-12 echoing through the WV mountains was incredible. I also had
a '65 GTO with a Royal Bobcat blueprinted engine, close-ratio 4-speed, and
full metallic brakes, etc. that I also drove on Rt. 250 frequently. Although
it had more power than the Ferrari and LOTS more torque, I never got it
under 1hr 12min. The Ferrari's lighter weight, better brakes, and better
handling simply couldn't be overcome by horsepower. It sure could steer the
rear end around those hairpins, though.

That fast drive in the Pontiac wore me out (manual fast steering ratio and
no power booster on the brakes) but it was easy in the Ferrari. You could
sure tell that Enzo was a guy who liked to drive, and drive fast.

I think that I could have bettered those times but it was a public road and
I didn't want to be too irresponsible.

You'd have to have pretty fast times to beat Henry, the Indian driver in the
Kitt Peak shuttle van, on that Kitt Peak- Tucson route!

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ