high speed stability

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: high speed stability
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:12:36 -0500
Trying to get a handle on this high speed stability issue for my own benifit.

The problem:

Vehicle high speed stability

Dependent on traction, both front and rear.

For the majority of us traction is dependent on weight or down force.

There comes a point at which it is impractical to add additional weight.

There are limits to adding down force based on class rules and body design.

Seems the we often forget that stability is as much about steering and the
front end as it is about planting the tires on the rear end. Wonder how many
cars are ill handling because they have too much down force on the rear and
not enough on the front?

John

#79 C/GCC