RE: high speed stability

To: "'Ed Van Scoy'" <ed@vetteracing.com>,
Subject: RE: high speed stability
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:30:14 -0600
Ed;

That "nose-down" rake was first widely used (as far as I know) in the design
of Can-Am cars in the ''68-'73 time frame. A good example is the McLaren
M8A:   http://www.turbosracingphotos.com/CANAM/05bcar68.jpg

Its nose is very low and its body shape is roughly a wedge with a spoiler
across the rear. Later they went to rear wings for more downforce but the
added drag wasn't a problem with the power they had available. The
open-cockpit had a lot of drag anyway. Coupe- bodied cars had much lower
drag and higher top speed:
http://www.turbosracingphotos.com/CANAM/13ccar72.jpg

Your 'vette looks pretty clean!

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ