Re: CFD aka Computational Fluid Dynamics

To: <Flowbench@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CFD aka Computational Fluid Dynamics
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:26:48 -0500
Mike

This is just my amateur opinion. I would think that computer modeling would
almost have to glean you some information, but doubt you would get anywhere
close to $35,000. worth. Would think a wind tunnel would at least get you
some ball park info for a lot less money. Unfortunately its only at 150 MPH
or so, but thinking still much to learn. Example if it lifts a certain
amount at 150 would think you could extrapolate that it will lift even more
at higher speeds.

I like Keith & Dave's plan to data log significant info on the actual car
itself. Use it as your test bed to document changes as speed increases.
Combine that with some additional data from the coast down test we plan to
run this year at Maxton and it just might be better than a wind tunnel, and
more cost effective.

As for changes: As you know, none of the "bodied" cars are allowed a
vertical stabilizer. And with stock bodied cars there are other restrictions
that hamper improvements.

John
#79, C/GCC