Re: 40 willys coupe

To: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: 40 willys coupe
From: Tom Shannon <saltfevr@xmission.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:33:31 -0700
Quoting Glen Barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>:

> Larry
> I knew Doug Cook in the early days and was a fan and a friend, I watched
> many great races with the Willys and the 37 chevy coupe before that. He
> also
> ran the chevy coupe at El Mirage. A big part of his life was drag racing
> before coming back to work with Mike on the Bonneville scene. Mike tried
> some oval track racing as well but his love is the lakes and salt. His
> son
> Mike Jr. is following with his hi-boy roadster.
> Mike still has Dougs 37 coupe and the Willys is in the NHRA Museum.  And
> the
> history continues.

Larry,Glen:
Larry thanks for the tip regarding the new Gasser book!And you own a 1940
Willy's!! You very lucky guy. Glen,thanks for the Doug"Cookie"Cook info.
Wasn't aware of the '37 Chevy!I remember building the Revell plastic model
of the Famed Stone,Woods,Cook Willy's when I was a kid.Ok, I must admit I
had trouble with airplane glue on the moveable front steering! Ooops.
Tom Shannon
Magna, Utah

> > I guess I would have to put the 40-41 Willys coupe up there as one of
> my
> > favorite cars. In the early sixties the Stone Woods Cook team came to
> drag strip
> > near me and we went and saw them. I thought that was the baddest car I
> had
> > ever seem (and still feel that way). I 'm sure people on the list knew
> Dug
> Cook
> > personaly but I have never seen anything posted. Did he every run a car
> at
> > Bonneville? I know Mike is the president of SCTA did he ever do any
> drag
> racing?
> > Don Montgomery has a book out called Supercharged Gas Coupes which is
> great
> > book if you are a gasser fan from the sixties. I bought a 40 Willys
> about
> 5
> > years ago and had it about 70 % done when I got on this Bonneville
> truck
> and now
> > I have two uncompleted prijects!!
> > Larry Mac