Re: Organization (Okay already...)

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Organization (Okay already...)
From: "bennevl" <bennevl@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:30:18 -0500
I was beginning to wonder too. Been kind of quiet on the list. Here is a
prod for the list. Always looking for those little hints that seem to make
things easier. We all know of Keith's adventure with the label maker. Here
is one I found very nice. I had to retrieve a wrench from a tool box of one
of our machine set up operators. When I opened the drawer I was amazed at
the way he had organized every wrench. Was expecting to find a massive pile
of wrenches and having to dig through to find the 2 identical wrenches I
needed.. He had lined the drawer with a sheet of Oak. We work in a very oily
environment and find that Oak absorbs a lot of oil. The operator had taken
every wrench laid it flat on the Oak and used 4 small headless brads to hold
the outline of the wrench. If there were multiple wrenches of the same size
they were in the same stack. Made my search quick and easy. Anyone else got
an idea to make tool storage and organization easier.

Years ago hung out at a diesel repair shop. It was a horrible mess. When I
complained one day about not being able to find something. The reply was
great we know its working. I had to ask why. Seems the shop owner use to be
strict for a place for everything and everything in its place. So everyday
at closing time the shop would spend time cleaning and putting all the tools
away in the toolboxes. Well the shop was broken into twice and each time
they burglars were in and out quickly just by grabbing the tool boxes. Owner
decided from then on just to leave everything scattered to make it harder on
the thieves to find anything.

Bill