Re: Stepped Headers

To: Ed Van Scoy <lsr128@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Stepped Headers
From: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:21:59 -0800
Ed, I had a long talk with Don Schoenfeld at the PRI show a couple years
ago about stepped headers. He has done a lot of dyno testing of them.
The best ones make about 8 to 10 more HP than non step type. There is a
basic rule of thumb that you step them only after a bend in the header
tube. Sprint cars will try different ones (because they are so easy to
change) to help chase a dirt track as it changes. But I think about half
of that is just to mess with the other racers minds. When you have your
car so dialed in you can screw with the exhaust, your doing real well.
Doug Odom in big ditch