Re: Stepped Headers

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stepped Headers
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <lsr128@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:04:35 -0700
> Your mileage may vary and always do what the torque meter says is right...

Dave,
You said the magic word in your last sentance - torque. Naturally this is
why we (some of us) are willing to spend large sums for custom designed
exhust rather than $69.00 headers from J.C. Whitney. Yes, some engines do
better with back-pressure - finding out just how much might be the
aforementioned "black art"  BUT I have heard Bernoulli's principle put forth
as the reason NOT to step the pipes, and further, a step down (venturi)
speeds up the fluid, thus exerting less pressure, increasing scaveging.
Sounds good in theory, and when I am flying, I NEVER question Mr.
Bernoulli's principle. But when it comes to the internal combustion engine,
this just goes contrary to many years of experience. Again, thinking of the
engine as an air pump........ Maybe I should have stayed in school ;-)
Ed