Re: Kids racing

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kids racing
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:22:16 -0700
Wes, List.
This discussion has been interesting, here are some of my thoughts.

I believe that a 2004 Pontiac (Holden) GTO is safer at 130 MPH that a
1955 Buick at 65 MPH.  Look at the difference in tires, brakes,
suspension design, weight distribution and occupant safety
design. I've driven a '55 Buick at 65 and an '89 T-Bird at 112.  The
T-Bird was very secure and conformable feeling, the Buick wasn't. A
Honda with 4 wheel disks takes less room to stop from 100 MPH than my
'42 Chevy did from 60.  And it is vastly more controllable.  I
remember watching cars going almost 100 at Santa Ana in '49 & '50
blowing tires because most non-racing tires weren't good for more than
70-90 MPH.

I see the quickness as a real problem. Without personal experience
with quick machines, the driver will be past point 'X' before he even
realizes he got there. This is why new model super bikes are available
in the junk yard within a week of hitting the dealers floor. Fast
bike, slow rider.

I heading for SoCal tomorrow. I'll let you know who I get to visit.

Bryan