Re: Kids racing

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kids racing
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:30:05 -0700 (PDT)
Wes:

Speed is kind of a relative thing. I remember going 100mph in a almost
stock 1957 Chevy four door sedan.  The damn thing continually tried to
take my life! Now, I have been 140mph in a 1995 BMW M3 and could have
let go of the steering wheel without loosing control. None of this is
justification for breaking speed limits but today's cars are light
years better than of those produced in the 50's. I would go on to say
that driving at the legal speed of 70mph is much safer today than
going that same speed, on the same road, back in 1957. It is my
opinion that kids are pretty much the same today as they were when I
was a teen ager. What hasn't changed is terminal speed. A crash at
100mph hurts just as much today as it did in 1957.

John