Re: Strange looking brake rotors - help. (NON LSR)

To: "Bryan Savage" <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Strange looking brake rotors - help. (NON LSR)
From: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:08:17 -0500
Bryan
  The shiny spots are hard spots in the cast iron caused by overheating and
cooling cycles. Cummins cylinder liners used to do the same thing if you
really overheated them.
  I think the pulsations are caused by uneven rotor thickness or warpage. If
the rotors have enough metal I would have had them turned and new pads.
After all the cycles they will have taken a set and probably won't warp
again. Trouble is, today they are so close to the minimum thickness when
new to save weight and gain mileage.
  Years ago I remember reading that Grumpy Jenkins used  nothing but used
blocks because they had taken a set and wouldn't shift.

JMHO
Ron Gibson, Omaha NE