Re: Strange looking brake rotors - help. (NON LSR)

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Strange looking brake rotors - help. (NON LSR)
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 07:55:14 -0700
Bryan,

Hard spots can be really hard! Many times they can be machined with a
lathe tool, but more often they require grinding. Lots of shops don't
have the capability of grinding rotors, (I am not referring to sanding
for bi-directional patterns, but actually resurfacing by grinding
instead of a lathe tool) that is why they replace them. If the hard
spots are not properly machined, various kinds of braking problems
result and some these can be dangerous. When working on brakes always
choose the safest approach, even if it gets expensive.

Number one priority when hard spots are encountered is finding out WHY
they are there. Most of the possible reasons have already been
mentioned. I have found that the most common problem is because of
calipers that are not operating freely causing a brake pads to not
return properly allowing a constant drag.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC