RE: Potentiometers...? ( who cares how it's spelled )

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Potentiometers...? ( who cares how it's spelled )
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:25:58 -0500
Keith;

When you are taking baseline static ride height data, be sure to bounce
the car up & down a few times to eliminate as much of the "stiction" of
the shocks and suspension bushings as possible.

Don't forget to have a load of fuel aboard as well as the driver! Once
you have the baseline done you'll need to either calibrate or calculate
the effective wheel rates of the springs. You can calibrate the spring
rate by adding carefully weighed sacks of sand to the front & rear body,
bouncing the chassis a few times and recording the new value read by the
potentiometer. Add another couple of bags of sand and repeat the process
a few more times.

The reason for doing this in multiple steps is that the effective wheel
rate of the springs is not linear. Since the angle of the springs change
as the suspension is loaded, it affects the wheel rate and makes it
non-linear.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ