FW: An interesting study of bore and stroke

To: "Landspeed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: An interesting study of bore and stroke
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:33:58 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Dahlgren [mailto:ddahlgren@snet.net]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 3:36 PM
To: Freiburger, David
Subject: RE: An interesting study of bore and stroke

I will bite on this just to have some fun but you have to send back what you
found and why you think it worked that way as well..

I would intuitively guess that the shorter stroke bigger bore engine needs a
little more timing yet is more sensitive to it.

Has a flatter torque curve that is slightly lower in peak and is willing to
rev a little higher though not much..depending on how good the identical
heads are.. or what size the headers are or the manifold for that matter
might favor one over the other from the start. IE. 2 1/4 header vs a 1 7/8..
tunnel ram with 2 dominators vs a dual plane and a 750 DP

If it has a carb it is probably more sensitive to minimum usable rpm due to
the lower peak air speed to get it on the mains, if EFI not an issue.

The cam is pretty short if a race engine so it might favor the street use of
the long stroke engine. personally for a race engine i would have picked
something more along the lines of a 276/282 on a 112 with rectangular port
heads and a 268/260 if old oval ports and a 272/276 114 in a good ported
head and they are N/A engines

So what did you find on the dyno??
DD