An interesting study of bore and stroke

To: "Land-speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: An interesting study of bore and stroke
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:34:22 -0700
Well, David there are so many variables and unknowns it would be impossible
to do it justice here. And besides I am not willing to write an epistle on
the subject.  The motors you describe are, mid-range, torque producers and I
don't see how they apply to record setting in LSR.  So, since this is an LSR
forum, I will make basic assumptions to at least simplify one venue. But
maybe you don't care about a record and just want to have dependable,
non-wrenching, fun. If that is the case either motor will do.  Just use a
wide-ratio 4 speed and tune for density altitude.  Nuff said!

LSR assumptions are; you will get a very good push start, have an optimal
ratio Jerico 4 or 5 speed, you tune for and only care about the top 2,500
rpm, and are willing to rebuild for the next event. Structurally, both
"short" rod ratios are piston-skirt killers, limiting piston speed to less
than optimal RPM. A better rod ratio and premium pistons "may" allow a
piston speed of 5500 FPM (8,000 RPM on the short stroke motor).  With that
motor you need more cam, a close ratio trans, fuel injection, ballistic
Kevlar between your legs and the side of the block, and a very fat wallet.
-Elon