Re: Pahrump Sporting Houses...

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Pahrump Sporting Houses...
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:11:29 -0400
On Thursday, July 8, 2004, at 09:09 AM, Bryan Savage wrote:

> Those who live in counties where these enterprises exist enjoy very
> low taxes and excellent public facilities.
>
> Hmmmm...
> Bryan

Actually, no, the taxes aren't all that low at all.  My dad lives in
Austria, and where he lives houses of the red-light persuasion are
legal -- and the taxes are sky-high.  He pays 8-9 bucks/QUART for motor
oil, $4/gallon for gasoline, and so on.  Medical care is state-paid --
but not near as fancy as we're used to having here.  State-paid
hospitalisation (for a hernia surgery for him) got him in an 8-person
ward with bathroom down the hall.  Doctors made their rounds on
weekdays.  Various medical tests that the docs ordered -- one today,
another tomorrow, and the third -- well, it's the weekend, so we'll try
to get around to that last one Monday.  Cool your heels in the
meantime, they told him.  I don't think it's what I want, that's for
sure.

Bureaucracy reigns supreme - it took him many months to get his '87
Mercury licensed there, 'cause the inspector didn't want to okay it --
Gotta put in all new shocks 'cause one of them has a drop of oil
showing;, must install new front bumper because there's a small dent in
the old one, please install all new steering linkage because one
tie-rod end is looking loose..."  Finally a call was made to the local
"governor", who is a friend of the family there, and the Gov. called
the inspector, and the car was granted permission to drive --- with no
repairs, no delays.

Too much government, I hear.  There are houses of ill repute in each
town, and they, too, pay high taxes.

Take it for what it's worth. . .

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing