Hurricane Mesa

To: glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: Hurricane Mesa
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:26:28 -0600
Glen and others living in Utah's Dixie ...

Did you see the KSL TV, Channel 5, report tonight on the testing on
Hurricane Mesa just a few miles from where you are?
They are using the rocket sled track up there to test parachute ejection
systems.

John Hollenhorst, who did the report, says it was quite the sight.  Bob
Greenwell, his photographer, has done some shooting on the salt flats over
the years.  He caught the sled very smoothly on a 762 MPH run.  The manager
of the facility said that was just a fraction under the speed of sound at
that altitude.

I don't know how you could get access since it is a private testing facility
owned by Goodyear but with your salt flats timing experience you should be
able to schmooze your way in for a run.

If you want me to contact John for names I'll be happy to help.

Wes