Re: First car?

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: First car?
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:06:48 -0700
I'd better get in on this first car stuff before Glen Barrett or Tom Shannon
make some pun about expecting Keith's first car to be an Oldsmobile "Rock"et
88.

I spent more on my first car than any of the prices quoted so far but I was
21 when I bought it.  Found it in the Minneapolis paper and drove it home
from my LDS mission.  Mint condition with 18,000 miles, 1953 Studebaker
Commander, 5 window coupe.  It even had dual pipes and that 232.6 cubic inch
V-8, 120 HP engine that weighed the  same as a Cadillac V-8 of the same
vintage.  The under two year old car had gone down from the original $2100
sticker price to $900.  Seat belts were my first modification too ... but
only for the 2 front seat passengers.

By the time I traded it for a 1960 Healey 3000 I had installed a massaged
'60 Corvette engine ... bored to 293 cubes, Jahns pistons, Dempsey Wilson
cam, Vertex mag, 3 2's - '97's on an Edelbrock manifold with progressive
linkage, Honest Charley motor mounts, electric fuel pump, re-worked
suspension with reversed eyes on the rear springs and a coil out of the
fronts and a variety of other improvements.  It was fun driving up to State
Street in Salt Lake from Provo because it was such a sleeper.  Yeah, some
street drags.  The 4.56 stock rear end was great for getting the power down,
blown transmissions (with overdrive) were a $35 replacement at the junk
yard, cheaper than buying replacements for the stripped cluster and low and
I drove it home more than once, starting easily in second gear.

Yeah, I wish I still had it ... and the Healey I traded it for as well.

Wes