Re: Engine Config

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Config
From: "Joe & Lynne Lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:49:18 -0500
I googled "top fueler acceleration" and got lots of stuff including the
following:

www.timskelton.com/valkyrie/gen  ----"5.5 g, 5465 HP"

http://mark.denovich.org/archives ----"for 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, average
of over 4g's, launch acceleration approaches 8 g's to reach 200 MPH well
before half-track."

And a really interesting site for all kinds of engineering issues,
www.eng-tips.com under "drag racing tires" in the Automotive Forum, Larry
Meaux, an "ET Analyst for Dragracers", says "5g in the first few feet
tapering down to 4g at 660 feet" with details of a run as:

60 feet---0.85 secs
330 feet--2.38 secs
660 feet--3.081 secs and 265.64 MPH
1000 feet--3.88 secs
1320 feet--4.57 secs and 321.77 MPH

Another contributor to the same forum gives the following data: "over 5 g's
for the first 100 feet, car weighs about 2175 lbs at start of 1320' run of
4.5 to 4.7 seconds, about 12,000 lbs of force pushing the car only by the
tires, there is an exhaust thrust force pushing the car down and back but is
probably less than 500 lbs in each direction"

The above leads me to believe my triangular envelope assumption with max g
at the start tapering to zero at 1320 feet is still a good first cut, but I
haven't yet tried to fit it to Larry Meaux's data above.

Lance