Re: Engine Config

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Config
From: "Joe & Lynne Lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:08:40 -0500
mayf, John---I did a few calculations based on the "Larry Meaux data" and
got the results below (my calculated numbers are in parenthesis), The
calculated "g" numbers are the average acceleration for each segment of the
run.

----
> And a really interesting site for all kinds of engineering issues,
> www.eng-tips.com under "drag racing tires" in the Automotive Forum, Larry
> Meaux, an "ET Analyst for Dragracers", says "5g in the first few feet
> tapering down to 4g at 660 feet" with details of a run as:

   0 feet
                                 (g=5.15)

 60 feet---0.85 secs  (96.2 MPH)

                                 (g=3.3)

330 feet--2.38 secs   (189.5 MPH)

                                 (g=3.5)

660 feet--3.081 secs and 265.64 MPH

                                 (g=2.54)

1000 feet--3.88 secs (310.5 MPH)

                                 (g=0.74)

1320 feet--4.57 secs and 321.77 MPH

-
It's interesting that the average g of 3.5 at 330--660 feet is slightly
higher than the 3.3 g average at 60--330 feet. Probably due to the engine
power/torque curve coming up faster than the aero drag is increasing?  Just
wondering--at what point in the run does the tire diameter reach its
maximum?

Lance