Re: Paypal story

To: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Subject: Re: Paypal story
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:42:39 -0500
On Thursday, January 6, 2005, at 12:58 PM, Benn wrote:

> My experience:  Works fine both ways (buying and selling), but I
> haven't
> been subject to PayPal scammers so far, either, and they ARE out there.
> You may have any balance in your account withdrawn through either a
> direct transfer to your bank account (if your PayPal account is tied to
> your bank account) or opt for a check to be sent (takes longer, but
> probably safer).
>
> Caveats:  1.  It appears to me that once a bank account is tied to your
> PayPal account, you no longer have the option of having payments taken
> from your credit card, although this conflicts with what Jon has said.
> I'd like to hear others' experience with this, please, as I may be
> mistaken.

Briefly -- Nancy isn't here to corroborate the story, but I believe
that it works this way:  When using the PayPal account she has set up,
and clicking on "pay with PayPal", the user must next choose whether to
credit/debit the PayPal account through the credit card OR through the
bank account.  I know that when I ordered a certain DVD from a certain
guy just a week ago (the disc still isn't here, Benn) I clicked on the
credit card method, thinking that would allow me time to reimburse her
account (vs. taking it from a bank account, the balance of which I was
ignorant and I didn't want to get her below zero, just in case).

So I think you do have the option of choosing.  I'll ask Nancy for
input when she's here at the computer one of these days.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)