Jon's air intake question

To: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>,
Subject: Jon's air intake question
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:25:48 +0000
Haven't seen a direct answer to this yet Jon(and may not be either)... but,
here's my 2cents.

If only using what the motor draws then standard dyno tuning should give you
a decent starting point. But if the airbox is being pressurized at speed then
it should be tuned with the amount of pressure on the air box that the speed
you will be doing will impose. In other words(as keith said), the more air
you squeeze in the motor,the more fuel you'll need to accomodate it. Data-aq
of some sort would be the key here to know what the pressure imposed at speed
is(if any). If you have an engine management system as you said(ie: closed
loop ecm on a/f readings), then it should compensate accordingly if
everything is setup to be able to handle it(ie: fuel pressure, injectors,
etc.).
So in answer to your question.. A & B. (how'd ya like that one?)
If you can tune to additional pressure being put to the motor then so be it,
but if you go as far as to end up creating dirty air around the inlet of the
box at any given speed then you will be not only be causing a bad aero effect
on the bike itself, but also creating surges on the intake charge.
Again, just my 2 cents from my limited uinderstanding... which is probably
worth well less then a penny to most of you.
TD