RE: Laser Ignition

To: "Bryan Savage" <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Laser Ignition
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:54:54 -0600
Bryan;

There wouldn't be any need for "sweeping the beam" if a cylindrical lens
is used; it would generate a fan-shaped beam but the power density
requirement would probably be pretty high to initiate combustion.

Explosive charges can be triggered by a laser pulse transmitted in an
optical fiber so I guess a fuel/air mixture could, too. Finding the
optimum laser wavelength might require some investigation.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ