RE: Laser ignition

To: "'Bryan Savage'" <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Laser ignition
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:25:03 -0800
Brian, it is an interesting idea and you are right, ignition would
definitely have to take place ATDC.  However, I'm more interested in the
"shape" of the pressure spike.  Kind of the difference between putting flash
powder or gun powder in a rifle cartridge. One burns and one explodes.

Instead of "distributing" the burn and pressure over roughly 40 crank
degrees you are accomplishing the task in less than 2 degrees of crank
travel. That puts tremendous stress on everything.  -Elon