RE: Am I crazy or just dumb?

To: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>, <Want1937hd@aol.com>, <edvs@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Am I crazy or just dumb?
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:25:04 -0600
Ed;

There are two things going on-- coolant flow rate and block coolant
pressure. They are inter-related in that as the flow rate through the
system increases, the back pressure in the block increases as well. This
back pressure is due to the coolant's being forced through a
restriction-- a thermostat or restrictor plate. Remove this restriction
and the coolant flow will increase but the back pressure drops. This
lowers the boiling point of the coolant in the heads & block, allowing
hot spots to develop. You need both flow and backpressure which requires
a very good water pump. Check out the Stewart website.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ